Geese are flying north and seed catalogs are arriving, so spring must be coming! Somehow that’s making me notice people blooming where they’re planted.
A few examples I’ve noticed this week:
- A literacy teacher by day runs a once-a-month family literacy event in a very poor part of the county, complete with free supper, program and free books for each child who comes.
- A friend living in an assisted living facility goes down the hall to read with a neighbor who has dementia so the neighbor’s husband has some time for himself.
- Various websites, listservs and Facebook pages of info and support for people with various disabilities maintained by people with those disabilities.
- People on the pet food program for elderly/disabled/low income folks taking care of animals for their neighbors who’ve landed in the hospital or nursing home.
- A retired grade school teacher teaches Sunday school and puts all that teacherly wisdom into great lessons for those kids.
A recently retired friend visits weekly a couple former colleagues who live in nursing homes.These blooms inspire me. As Mother Teresa said: “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” What blooms are you seeing?